Article written by Chinyere Williams – Certified Holistic Health & Nutrition Coach
What is a Health Coach?
That is a GREAT question, and I think if you were to ask 5 different coaches, you’d get 5 slightly
different answers! ☺
According to Merriam-Webster online dictionary the definitions of a coach are:
: a person who teaches and trains an athlete or performer
: a person who teaches and trains the members of a sports team and makes decisions about how the team plays during games
: a private teacher who gives someone lessons in a particular subject
If we add “Health” in front of Coach, I believe the above definitions would still apply. I personally define my work as a combination of educating, motivating, inspiring, leading, and guiding my clients to take empowered action and transform not only their health but also their lives.
If we examine what Health Coaching actually is in the practical sense, it comes in a variety of flavors such as:
• 1:1 personal coaching for a pre-defined period of time; I generally work with my 1:1 clients for a minimum of 90 days.
• Group coaching programs – delivered online or offline; I offer seasonal cleanse programs delivered online so participants can join from anywhere in the world.
• In-person workshops or nutrition talks
• Cooking classes
• Grocery store tours
• VIP Days which can include any number of services (cooking together, grocery store tours, pantry clean-out, etc.) to be provided in a single day, usually lasting 5-6hrs.
Why work with a Health Coach?
There are TONS of reasons to work with a Health Coach! I wish I’d known health professionals like these existed when I was bouncing around from diet to diet, self-diagnosing myself, and trying anything and everything to feel better.
Here are a few benefits of working with a Health Coach:
• Support to help you manage the change often required to transform your body
• Accountability to ensure you honor the commitments you’ve made to YOURSELF
• Education – believe it or not, I’ve studied more about health and nutrition and how it impacts our bodies than most doctors! Sadly, medical school students only receive a few hours of nutritional education. I’ve enlightened so many clients about solutions their doctor didn’t even mention to them.
• FUN – I consider it my job to make the transformation as fun as possible. I can’t promise it will all be fun, but I can promise it won’t all suck!
• Tangible things like recipes, suggested meal plans, videos, articles, webinars, etc.
• Transformation that lasts! When done properly, a client should walk away from a coaching relationship forever changed for the better! That doesn’t mean that “backsliding” won’t ever happen – we all sometimes fall back into old patterns at times. But, if the tools have been properly bestowed, clients will know how to pull themselves up to get back on track.
I can only speak for myself and not on behalf of all Health Coaches, but those coaches I’ve worked with all agree that the #1 reason to work with a health coach is because:
WE DEAL WITH THE ROOT CAUSE OF YOUR ISSUE, NOT JUST THE SYMPTOMS!
I have Hashimoto’s Disease – a thyroid and autoimmune condition that is NOT solved by taking thyroid medication!! Instead of going on medication, I knew I needed to heal my leaky gut, better balance my blood sugar, and remove allergenic foods from my diet to eliminate internal inflammation.
This approach caused me to eat differently, exercise differently, get more sleep, remove environmental toxins from my home AND get serious about managing stress better.
This is only the tip of the iceberg -because Health Coaches change lives, and that cannot be easily summarized in one single article or blog post. If you’ve been struggling with your own health issues and are unsure of how to tackle the challenges you currently face then seek out your own personal health coach, or join my next free challenge so that you don’t have overcome your issues alone.
I have dedicated this summer to giving away free programs. In June, I offered a Living Grain- Free 5 day Challenge that more than 350 people joined! Coming up in a little less than 2 weeks is my 5 Day Clean Eating Challenge – if you’ve ever wanted to understand and try out a Clean Eating program, this is your lucky day! You can sign up here for free: https://helpingbodiesheal.com/cleaneating.