Whenever I see a Veggie Burger on the menu at a restaurant I always order it. And most often I really like it. The process of making it myself seemed to be complicated until I finally decided to google a recipe and a few simple ones showed up. Since I didn’t have the exact ingredients for any recipe I looked up, I decided to improvise a little and make my own, borrowing suggestions from all over the internet.
I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised with myself. Not only did my husband love it but my kids (super picky eaters) gobbled them up! These veggie burgers are very tasty and satisfying, loaded with protein to keep you full for a while and have many nutrients. They are also vegan and gluten free, if you use gluten free buns.
I dressed up mine with tomatoes, avocado, kale and spicy BBQ sauce.
- 1 ½ cup cooked mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup cooked rice
- 1 small white onion (chopped)
- 1 ½ cup organic canned black beans, rinsed & mashed
- ½ cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup organic canned sweet corn
- ⅓ cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Avocado oil
- 8 burger buns
- Kale, avocado, tomatoes - optional
- Spicy BBQ sauce
- Cook sweet potatoes by wrapping them in foil, placing on baking sheet and baking at 350 degrees for about 1.5 hour or until you can easily poke it with a fork. It should be very soft and will not need much meshing.
- While sweet potato is baking prepare rice according to box instructions and let cool. Also saute onion for about 3 minutes, let cool.
- Once the first 3 ingredients (sweet potato, rice & onion) are cooled enough to handle add them to a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients, inducing the spices. Mix well.
- On a baking sheet make burger patties and lay them out for easy handling.
- Preheat avocado oil on a cast iron skillet.
- Pick up each burger patty with a spatula and place in preheated cast iron skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked place on buns with kale, avocado, tomatoes and BBQ sauce.