My mom came over to stay with me last weekend and made one of my all-time favorite Ukrainian salads. Vinaigrette, is a healthy beet salad, with potatoes, pickles and other good stuff. If you get precooked beets, all you have to do is boil the potatoes and cut the ingredients into 1 inch cubes.
This recipe also uses sauerkraut, which is fermented cabbage, it has amazing benefits for your digestive health. If you want to read an article on benefits of fermented foods you can get it here Gut Health: Why it is Important I recommend making your own sauerkraut, its super easy! You can get a recipe here How to Make Saurekraut.
- 4 medium sized beets
- 4 medium size potatoes
- 4 small pickles
- 15oz sauerkraut (juice drained)
- 2 scallions
- 2 tablespoons of dill
- salt to taste
- sunflower oil
- If you are using raw beets, fill medium size pot with water and boil (skin on) for about 40 minutes or until fork tender.
- In separate pot boil potatoes for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While beets and potatoes are cooking, cut pickles into 1 inch cubes and add to a large bowl. Drain sauerkraut and add to the same bowl. Chop scallions and dill and add to the bowl.
- Once potatoes are done, let cool and peel skin off, it should come off easily, then cut int 1 inch cubes. Add to the bowl.
- When beets are ready peel skin off, it should come off easy as well, and cut into 1 inch cubes an add to the bowl.
- Add salt, sunflower oil and mix.
- This salad can be enjoyed at room temperature of cold.