Homemade jam is one of my favorite things to make. It’s so simple yet rewarding, knowing you can enjoy this sweet treat without any preservatives and chemicals. And the bonus is that while you simmer it, it makes your house smell like summer, any time of the year. The pleasant aroma of simmering fruit is simply irresistible.
There are many different fruits (or combinations of fruits) you can make. I will start with sharing my favorite raspberry jam. My Ukrainian grandmother used to make it for me and we would have it on top of a scone or bread, while drinking our teas. You can even put a bit of it in your tea instead of sugar (very comforting when you are sick in those winter months).
I also like to spread it over my pancakes instead of using syrup.
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup of powdered sugar (or superfine sugar)
- 1 tsp of orange zest (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Stirring occasionally. (Make sure the sugar melts before it boils).
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, the longer you cook it the thicker it will become. It also thickens a bit while it cools.
- Pour into a clean mason jar and seal. After it is cooled off store it in the fridge.