This is how this delicious recipe was born…
After buying my favorite tabbouleh salad at Whole Foods for a while now, I finally looked at the ingredients list only to find out that the sodium levels were ridiculously high. I looked at the ingredient list and added those to my cart, instead it the prepackaged goods. I have decided to make it myself.
However, when I got home I realized that I forgot to purchase bulgur (main ingredient in the salad). Since I was really craving tabbouleh salad at this point and going back to the store was not an option, I decided to use quinoa instead. And I am so happy I did! I turned out even better then expected.
I have also added pomegranate seeds to add a little sweetness.
I really enjoyed making this salad because chopping up all the fresh herbs and vegetables made my kitchen smell like spring. This salad is definitely doing to be one of my favorites for a while.
This salad gets better as it sits, so you can make it ahead for the party. Or keep it in the fridge and enjoy a little every day. Its a great salad to bring to lunch with you. The chickpeas add protein to the salad. This is a great vegetarian or vegan meal full of nutrients and protein.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 2 cups of grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1-2 lemons, or to taste
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Bring water and quinoa to a low boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. Until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile mix together the next 8 ingredients and salt to taste.
- Once quinoa is cooled to room temperature add as much as you like to the salad.
- ***Tip: Rinse quinoa before cooking or it may taste a little bitter.