I love making one-dish meals and risotto falls into that category. The less pots and pans I have to use in the kitchen the better. Who has time to clean up tons of dishes after making a meal anyway?
If you love lemons, mushroom and risotto, you will love this dish. It’s healthy and gluten-free. I make risotto often but this is my first time adding lemon to it. I love the summery touch it brings to this comfort-food dish.
- 5 tablespoons good extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled & minced
- 2 cups of white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Organic Arborio Rice
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 zest of one lemon (and about 1 tablespoon squeezed juice)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in the dutch oven over medium heat. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Cook until shrimp are done, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the dutch oven.
- Add onions and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the rice, then stir in vegetable broth, lemon juice and zest and the remaining 1½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Simmer until rice is done (risotto will be tender but not too mushy) about 13-14 minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp and more vegetable broth if needed.
These are the tools and ingredients I used in this recipe: