In an effort to be more health & environment conscious, I have been trying to reduce the amount of milk we consume at home. We don’t use a lot but my younger son really loves his organic milk. I have tried to switch to almond and coconut milk but there seem to be so many unnecessary and unhealthy ingredients on the back of the box that it makes me uneasy giving it to my children.
Then I heard that it is not that difficult to make your own organic almond milk. And to my surprise (and huge excitement) it was very easy and simple to make. Here are the step-by-step instructions with images on how to make your own organic almond milk. No hormones, no preservatives, no chemicals and no wasteful packaging! The best part is that the remaining almond meal could be added to smoothies, oatmeal, or dried and used for baking as almond flour. Told ya, no waste at all!
Start with buying Raw Organic Almonds in bulk.
Put 1 cup of raw almonds into a bowl and cover with water. Leave on counter overnight (or in fridge up to two days).
After soaking the almonds will be a little plummer and the water murky. Rinse the almonds.
Add rinsed almonds to blender, I use Vitamix 5300 Blender.
Add 2 cups of water and blend on high for about 2-4 minutes.
Strain into a measuring cup. It should yield about 2 cups of almond milk.
Refrigerate and consume within two days of making the milk.
- 1 cup organic raw almonds
- 2 cups of water (plus more for soaking overnight)
- Nut bag or Cheesecloth
- Put 1 cup of almonds in a bowl and submerge in water. Cover and leave on counter top overnight (or in fridge up to two days).
- Once the almonds are ready (they will plump up a little and the water will be murky) rinse well.
- Add to blender along with 2 cups of clean water.
- Blend on high for 2-4 minutes.
- Strain into a measuring cup through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth.
Below are the amazon links to the products used in this recipe.