It’s not easy being a recovering sugar addict. Most of my life I never really though about how much sugar I consumed and was completely unaware of how bad it can be for you. I don’t think I’ve ever met a dessert I didn’t like! But ever since I started to educate myself on proper nutrition, I learned how terrible over-consumption of refined sugar is for your health.
Yet it is so addicting, making it really difficult to walk by dessert tables, supermarket isles, ice cream shops, etc… We are constantly surrounded by the sugar packed goods. One way I learned to curb my sweet tooth is to make my own desserts. Yes there is still sugar in them but it comes from natural sources and is processed differently by our bodies.
This Berry Banana Bread it is made with lots of fresh fruit & berries, which contain fiber in them. Hence, keeping you feeling full & satisfied longer. You can even eat this for breakfast, it went super fast & was a huge hit when I severed it at a brunch I hosted at my house recently. This banana bread recipe calls for almond flour and maple syrup, which makes it gluten-free and refined sugar free!
Make sure to use very, very ripe bananas, yes the ones that start to brown are just perfect. They add most of the sweetness to this bread
One more note… because of maple syrup, almond flour and ripe bananas, this cake is super moist inside so it doesn’t have the usual bread consistency. So do not over baking thinking it’s not done.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ cup strawberries, chopped
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, mash bananas and mix with melted butter.
- Add maple syrup, (lightly beaten) egg, vanilla, baking soda, salt and mix all ingredients together.
- Add almond flour without over mixing (it may make it too soft). Do not worry about the lumps.
- Add strawberries, blueberries, almonds and lemon zest and mix once more.
- Butter parchment paper and line the bread pan. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 1 hour or until the top of the bread is slightly brown.
- The inside of the bread will be pretty moist but that is ok, it is meant to be enjoyed with a spoon. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream