I often wish I was one of those people that do not crave dessert. How easy it would be to walk by the bakeries and not get pulled in by the sweet aroma of bakes goodness! Unfortunately I am not one of those people and it takes a lot of will power to bypass what I once considered “treats” to myself.
Knowing how bad refined sugar (along with all the processed foods) is for you is half the battle. Another half is learning how to make your own nutrient-dense desserts. Which can be made with real ingredients and have minimal to none of the processed sugars but are full of fiber, vitamins and are just as tasty.
This brings me to this yummy Chocolate Avocado Mousse. Avocado, with its mild flavor, is not only nutritious, packed with healthy fats and fulfilling but also adds smooth texture to this delightful dessert. The taste of avocado pretty much disappears in the flavor of chocolate and neither my husband or my kids ever knew is was in there!
Raspberries & coconut cream add a hint of summer to this dessert. This dessert is perfect for parties in the summer as it can be made ahead of time, chilled and served after dinner on a warm summer evening.
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces melted cacao baking chocolate
- 6 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- sea salt - pinch
- Coconut Raspberry Cream - optional (recipe in notes below)
- In a food processor, combine the first 7 ingredients, 1 cup of raspberries and a pinch of sea salt. Blend until creamy, then spoon into cups and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with the Coconut-Raspberry Cream and fresh raspberries.