Eggs are one of the most versatile foods around. You can have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. There are are also tons of ways you can make them, from simple scrambled eggs to sophisticated Eggs Benedict. They are used in many baked recipes and many salads. Although they have had a reputation for containing bad cholesterol, eaten in moderation, they are not only safe but very nutritious.
Growing up my grandma use to make scrambled eggs with tomatoes so I have been making them at home quite a lot lately. The combination is delicious. This recipe of baking eggs inside tomato cups is a more fun version and can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. It will look impressive to your guests but is very easy to make. I love making these for my overnight guests in the morning instead of the regular fried eggs because I can prep them early and just stick them in the oven while I make toast and set the table.
These will also be a great to serve at a brunch. They dress up the table very nicely.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 cup white cheddar, shredded
- ⅕ cup grated Parmesan cheese,
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice off the tops of each tomato and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Place tomatoes in muffin tin so they stay in place (see above image).
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of the white cheddar on the bottom of each tomato.
- Carefully break an egg into each tomato.
- Bake the eggs for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, remove the eggs from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for another 7-10 minutes, until the eggs are set to your desired consistency.
- Remove the eggs from the oven. Using thongs or large spoon transfer tomatoes onto a plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and garnish with the fresh basil. Enjoy!